Air Crash Investigation S13E10 – Qantas 32: Titanic In The Sky

There has been a lot of recent interest in the production entitled “Air Crash Investigation S13E10 – Qantas 32: Titanic In The Sky”.     This program has been broadcast on the National Geographic channel.

Closing Statement

It’s a pity that my final statement (shown at the end of the program) was shortened.   I actually said:

The Lancet 1918

The Lancet 1918

The QF32 story – it’s not about me as the pilot in command of QF32,  the pilots, the cabin crew or even my airline.    It’s a story of resilience and team excellence where 8 teams pooled the industry’s knowledge, training, experience and worked together to survive a Black Swan Event.  It’s about aviation that for the last 110 years has shared their knowledge and experience to made aviation safer for the travelling public.

Click here to view more about this topic

Questions

VH-OQJ at London in April 2013.  (Courtesy Richard de Crespigny)

VH-OQJ (Bert Hinkler) at London in April 2013. (Photo RDC)

Post any questions below.

I will attempt to answer questions that have not been analysed in the book.

(Think of Bert Hinkler whenever you see the A380 registered VH-OQJ)

Extoplasm and contrails behind an Emirates A380 at 35,000 feet (2,000 feet below us) flying east over the Indian Ocean (Photo RDC)

See also:

17 comments

1. I love planes and 1 day hope to be a pilot. Richard you are so inspiring and a great pilot

2. Matthew Clemow · · Reply

Hi Richard,
    I too am an avid watcher of Air Crash Investigation and have watched the QF32 episode.

Through my watching of Air Crash Investigation, I have devolved a passion for aviation and I am exploring this passion by being involved in the Australian Air Force Cadets and I hope to one day either get into ADFA or get involved in commercial aviation through a cadetship program, such as those offered by REX or Qantas.

I have also read QF32 a few times and I found the whole book, especially on your time in the RAAF, interesting and a great read.

Thanks, Matthew

1. Thanks for your kind words Matthew. Best wishes for you following your passion to fly. You will succeed if you are healthy and put in the “hours”.

Be sure to read my blog regarding seeking an aviation career.

Best Wishes, Rich

3. Jeremija Buzzard · · Reply

Dear Sir,

It is my life dream to become a commercial pilot.
    What is the name of the pilot on Qantas Flight 32 that day?
    Also the name of the plane of Qantas Flight 32?
    Also the name of your book so I can read it please
    God Bless
    Jeremija

1. Dear Jeremija,

The answers to all your questions are in my book. You can order it at http://cart.qf32.aero

Best Wishes

Rich (Pilot In Command – QF32)

4. Steven Genat · · Reply

Great flying Richard,

I am an Australian and never ever fly any airline except QANTAS. I am in my early 60’s and I first started flying QANTAS in the 60s as an 11 year old when I flew to Europe and other selected Asian countries where QANTAS flew.

There is none better than a QANTAS crew anywhere in the world and this proves it conclusively. After seeing your and your crew’s efforts, I would never ever fly anything other than QANTAS.

Let’s hope QANTAS recovers from the adverse problems that it faces today and flies forever.

Congratulations on your efforts and your crew’s efforts, you are all heroes.

5. Shikhar Joshi · · Reply

Hi Sir,
    I’m an 18 year old from New Delhi, India and wish to become a commercial pilot. It’s my only dream in this life. Just wanted to congratulate you for what you and your crew did. You guys inspire and motivate me to work harder towards my dream.

God Bless

Regards.
    Shikhar

1. Thanks Shikhar for the kind comments.

Work hard, play hard and reach for the stars. You will have a great career flying the big jets!

Best Regards Rich

6. Stuart Holloway · · Reply

Richard,

I’ve read your book but was not sure of the context of the answer given in the book.
    What was your final assessment given by your check captain on QF32, if I recall in the book he said you failed?

Does pilot simulator training now include more extreme events, or was it viewed QF32 was such a rare event that little could be gained from incredibly complex emergency simulations?

7. Tim woods · · Reply

Hi Richard,
    I agree with Paul, CH9 was not good at all, after 40 mins I had not learned anything. ACI was great and gave the crew a great opportunity to give an account of what happened.

I believe there is a fault in their presentation however, they reported that you disengaged the autopilot to take control of the aircraft , but soon after had you saying that you pressed the alt button to bring the nose down.
    No doubt they both happened, but maybe in reverse order, the alt button would have no affect unless the AP was on, correct?
    Cheers
    Tim

1. Hi Tim,

You are correct. I did not disengage the autopilot after the engine failed.

I did disengage the autopilot for the flight control checks.

The autopilot also disengaged a few times before and during the approach when the speed reduced below the Valpha protection speed (when the Calibrated Air Speed (CAS) was just 7 knots above the stall speed (Vs)).

Interestingly, the first uncommanded autopilot disconnect occurred during the reconfiguration at 4,353 Radio Altitude when the CAS was 169 kts (Vls 165, Vs 162)). Clearly, it was not good that the PRIMary flight control computers calculated and displayed an incorrect Vls speed. The autopilot disconnects were a clue that we were flying too slow. Fortunately the flight control checks mitigated all these additional failures.

8. Hello Richard:

Im intrigued by the HAC (Armstrong Spiral) maneuver you mention on QF32 when you wanted to return to Changui and prepare for a worst case scenario (total eng failure) and glide back.

All I’ve been able to find on Google is a brief description on how the shuttle used it.

Could you please explain how would you apply this concept to bring back a A380 or any big commercial plane in a practical way? I.e. Aiming distance for runway, speed, how to manage energy, etc…

1. Good question Paul.

I will answer your question in a separate page.

Please subscribe to these articles (at the top right of this page). You will then be automatically notified when the answer is published.

9. Paul Seaman · · Reply

Hi Richard,

I’m an avid watcher of Air Crash Investigation. I’ve already seen the QF32 episode and thought it was a good retelling of the events given episode time constraints.

I must say that I was very disappointed with Nine’s “Mayday”. In my opinion it was not worth watching. My advice would be to watch Four Corners coverage and Air Crash Investigation. I reckon between them you get a pretty good retelling.

Regards
    Paul

10. Great program Richard!

I preferred the book anyway!

11. Paul Seaman · · Reply

Hi Richard,
    Is there a higher resolution version of your Emirates A380 photo available? I’d love to use it as wallpaper on my iPad.
    Thanks, Paul

1. Hi Paul,

I have uploaded a high resolution print. Click on the image to see it in full resolution. Then copy this image.

The image quality is limited by distortions in the aircraft’s side windows.

Best regards. Rich